06 June, 2008

Can Never Say Enough








This is not a day of politics. This is a day to remember and honor. There were countless acts of heroism in the Second World War unknown. Some acts were forever etched in the history books, some acts disappeared in unforgiving obscurity. Our soldiers who fought from the Shot Heard Around The World to the Sandbox each have theirs, they are people we do not deserve to call fellow citizens.

Men like the one pictured brought an end to tyranny. My grandfather came in on the second day of D-Day. His jeep either was hit by or ran over an unexploded shell. Blast killed the other man in the jeep and severely wounded my grandfather sending shrapnel into his back. He never talked about it and I never pushed. Some things were better left unsaid. But they need to be remembered. I guess I'll never know the name of the medic who saved my grandfather, thank you.

3 comments:

Brooke said...

Wow, Obob.Thanks for sharing that.

Today is a day to remember.

nanc said...

thank you, obob - this is a very thoughtful post.

Law and Order Teacher said...

I posted about this day. I can not think what this day must have been like for those of the Greatest Generation. In my experience, I remember praying that God would help us to victory. I always hoped he thought we were on the right side.

Kissinger Doing the Weather

Kissinger Doing the Weather
Back in the early 90s, I awoke with a wicked hang over one morning. As I sat on the floor watching the morning news, I swore I saw Harold Kissinger doing the weather. No one believed me. Professors discounted me. I have been vindicated.
      
Marriage is love.

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger