11 June, 2007

Science Schmience

Love this. Ever hear a liberal scream that you cannot trump science?

What gets little notice, however, is a series of academic studies over the last half-dozen years that claim to settle a once hotly debated argument — whether the death penalty acts as a deterrent to murder. The analyses say yes. They count between three and 18 lives that would be saved by the execution of each convicted killer.

The reports have horrified death penalty opponents and several scientists, who vigorously question the data and its implications.
Among the conclusions:

• Each execution deters an average of 18 murders, according to a 2003 nationwide study by professors at Emory University. (Other studies have estimated the deterred murders per execution at three, five and 14).

• The Illinois moratorium on executions in 2000 led to 150 additional homicides over four years following, according to a 2006 study by professors at the University of Houston.

• Speeding up executions would strengthen the deterrent effect. For every 2.75 years cut from time spent on death row, one murder would be prevented, according to a 2004 study by an Emory University professor.

7 comments:

Brooke said...

Here, here. No more 30+ year appeals. You get one, and then buh-bye. IMMEDIATELY.

I might even suggest televising them, prime time, of course.

WomanHonorThyself said...

hey a dead dude cant kill again can he?

Rita Loca said...

I have no problem relieving society of criminals of this stripe. Think of the $ savings as well.

Marie's Two Cents said...

Hi,

This is off topic but I saw your comment over at Ken's and when I saw this I thought of you lol

FredHeadsUSA.Org

Unknown said...

I have a real problem with the death penalty....

It's not used often enough nor quickly enough!!

Obob said...

the numbers are quite strong. So what really matters, a guilty murderous convict or an innocent? Thanks marie, I am a Fred Head

Brooke said...

I vote for expanding it to include rapists, too!

Kissinger Doing the Weather

Kissinger Doing the Weather
Back in the early 90s, I awoke with a wicked hang over one morning. As I sat on the floor watching the morning news, I swore I saw Harold Kissinger doing the weather. No one believed me. Professors discounted me. I have been vindicated.
      
Marriage is love.

Blog Archive

Powered By Blogger