18 August, 2008

The Vast Wasteland

Outside of the usual sports, (Bears/Football, Cubs & National Soccer action) my TV runs either children shows or the History Channel. Most major network shows are predictable, insipid or in an arrogant sense, numbing.
But there are four shows I eagerly await every week:

  • Burn Notice on USA: Any chance to see Bruce Campbell hamming it up is worth it. And if you want to catch a real odd film, Bubbal Ho-tep. He is Elvis in hiding and Ossie Davis as JFK. Yes, Ossie is black.

  • Law & Order: Criminal Intent on USA: I was wary of this show at first. But the unbridled eccentric genius of Vincent D'Onofrio is worth every episode. Even the return of Chris Noth to the franchise is worth it. But most of all, I love Leslie Hendrix. She has played the savvy ME Dr. Elizabeth Rodgers for all three franchise shows.

  • Eureka on SciFi: This brings out my inner geek. My meager grey matter is generally history or philosophically driven. But the sci-fi angle, perfectly cast and playful physics laden banter makes me giggle like Archimedes. (Who is given his props with a statue in the middle of the town. Plus there is Jo played by Erica Cerra.

  • Penn & Teller Bullshit on Showtime: And these two. They are bombastic and silent. Atheist and Libertarian. And they make you think. Unafraid to challenge any group, from Code Pink to the Catholic Church to NASA. The profane duo are at their best unchained and self-rightous.

    Each show has wit, intelligence, truly character driven and unique. It isn't that other shows reek of mediocrity, but my time is limited. I could never commit to the brilliant Lost like a good marriage. And the original Law & Order is like a drunken booty call at 2 a.m. you never let go.
  • 5 comments:

    Brooke said...

    I like the L&O SVU. I've always thought Meloni would make an excellent Batman... But I digress.

    P&T is one of my absolute FAVES!!! Some of the shows have me applauding, some have me saying, "heeey!"

    But always, they say it like it is. One of my faves is the Wal-Mart episode.

    Obob said...

    I had to sacrifice L & O SVU. I catch when I can, but not as religious as the others.
    The whole shooting of Bibles and disrespect of religion I do not care for. But their common sense guide to world peace had merits as well as busting any man behind the curtain

    Beth said...

    Getting to watch Showtime shows like Penn abd Teller for free on You Tube is awesome!

    Chuck said...

    Can't speak to the other three but my family all loves Eureka. Law & Order SVU is good also but obviously not family friendly.

    Obob said...

    Eureka is the most family friendly of the batch.

    Kissinger Doing the Weather

    Kissinger Doing the Weather
    Back in the early 90s, I awoke with a wicked hang over one morning. As I sat on the floor watching the morning news, I swore I saw Harold Kissinger doing the weather. No one believed me. Professors discounted me. I have been vindicated.
          
    Marriage is love.

    Blog Archive

    Powered By Blogger